Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC, NetMeeting RDS, PcAnywhere & firewall 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sen7inel

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2001
FI
Hello,

we have a small w2k server behind a firewall at the office. I'd desperately need to access this computer remotely every now and then. I'd prefer to use (Tight)VNC tunneled via SSH2, but it seems that the firewall is blocking 22 and in fact all TCP ports. As we are "on lease" on another party's network, the firewall isn't mine to configure. I guess the other software mentioned in the subject can't help me on this? Is remote access completely out of the question?

I'd rather stay away from temporary fixes like opening a ssh connection from the server to some unix box not inside the fiewall and then using server-to-client tunneling.

Ummm... the point of a firewall is to make "remote access completely out of the question" is it not? Unless it's configured to *permit* a remote connection. Sounds like the firewall admin has done his/her job. Ask them to open a hole for you and limit it to your external (home?) IP address or address ranges.

> the point of a firewall is to make "remote access
> completely out of the question" is it not?

True, at least to some extent. It seems that them script kiddies have won.

=(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back