Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC-Like Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

circulent

MIS
Dec 6, 2006
US
Is there any type of software that is similar to VNC, and can be pre-configured & be deployed via GPO throughout a Win2003 network in an MSI package?

Thanks

Since you've asked this in the SBS forum, I'm assuming that you are wanting to remotely manage workstations in an SBS network?

Or do you have some other goal in mind?

Because in an SBS network, you don't need a third party tool to have full remote management capabilities, and users can access their own workstations remotely as well through Remote Web Workplace (see for details).

RWW is automatically installed and preconfigured on an SBS.

The main key, though, is that you needed to have joined the workstations to the domain the "SBS way" using Because then they will be properly configured for RWW to work. You also needed to have enabled RWW when you ran the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard (CEICW -- which is linked as Connect to the Internet in the Server Management Console > To-Do List). If you didn't, or if you aren't sure, you can certainly run the CEICW again.

If you did not join workstations with connectcomputer, then you will need to follow these steps on each workstation:

At the client machine:
1. Log in with THAT machine's LOCAL administrator account.
2. Unjoin the domain into a WORKGROUP
3. Change the name of the computer (this is not an option, you must use a name that is unique and hasn't been used before on your SBS)
4. Delete or rename the following directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Clients if it exists
5. Make sure that the network settings are configured to get an IP address automatically (DHCP enabled)
6. Reboot

Then on the server, from the Server Management Console:
1. Remove the client computers if it still shows in the Client Computer screen on the Server Management Console
2. Add the client with it's NEW name using the Add Computer wizard

Then, go back to the client machine, log back in with the local Administrator account and join the domain by opening Internet Explorer and navigating to
Please advise if you need any further information.

Jeffrey B. Kane
TechSoEasy

Jeff,

Ends up I posted the question in the wrong forum. It was supposed to be in the Windows 2003 forum. However if you have any suggestions to my original question it would be muich appreciated.

Thanks

Okay... then can you clarify what you are trying to do? Do you want to manage workstations? Or do you want users to have remote access? Or both?

Jeffrey B. Kane
TechSoEasy

I want to find another piece of software that works just like VNC, but can be deployed via GPO by using an MSI package.

circulent,

You did not answer my question about what you are trying to ultimately accomplish. Simply restating that you want to find another piece of software that works just like VNC does not tell me why you need to deploy via GPO. Because there are other tools out there which don't need to be installed on the client at all... such as

Jeffrey B. Kane
TechSoEasy

To be able to control a desktop remotely for help desk purposes. Thanks

Then look at IntelliAdmin's Remote Control LAN product. There's nothing to install on the client side as long as you have administrative privileges.

It's really a great product!

Jeffrey B. Kane
TechSoEasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back