Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC in to multiple workstations? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardkng

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
Im trying to allow multiple users remote access to 2 different workstations on the local network.

Currently I have the router set to forward connections to a static IP address, but this only supports the one system with the static IP.

What I need, is to be able to set up VNC (or something else?) on two different workstations, on the same external IP address, like this:

Employee 1 connects to external IP and is forwarded to PC 1 (their normal workstation)

Employee 2 connects to same external IP address as employee 1, but gets forwarded to PC 2 (a different workstation than employee 1)

2 employees, 2 different workstations, 1 external IP, each being forwarded to a different system inside our local network.

Anyone know if thats possible, or should I seek a different solution than VNC?

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't matter what ip you are connecting with on vnc. You just need to type in the ip of the workstation you want to connect to. You can also connect using netbios names. I've used this in the past to connect to over 250 seperate clients to save on legwork. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Well, as its currently set up, users connect to our external IP, and get automatically forwarded to the only PC running the VNC server, but now I have another user whos needing to VNC into our network, and I need to send them to a different PC.

So how do I set that up?

At what point does the user choose which workstation they go to, if they are outside the network? (on the internet)

Don't use VNC from outside your network without also using a VPN. In other words, have the users external to your network VPN in first, then run VNC to the systems they need access to.

VNC is not secure, and they do not recommend using it in the open.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Here's a star, lander. Make sure you set up a vpn for protection. You might also want to put in something like zone alarm for added security. As for the other part of you're question, install the vnc service on the other machine needed to be accessed. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

OK, I dunno anything about VPN, and was actually reading a guide on how to set it up when these other replies came in.

Currently I have a DSL gateway router, and am forwarding incoming connections on port suchandsuch to a static IP address on one of the workstations, so that my employee just VNC's into our public IP address, and the router does the rest.

According to lander, this is a less than optimal setup.

Learning as I go....

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back