Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC from Linux to Windows 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has a Windows PC upstairs which he needs to use from downstairs.

Fortunately, he has another old PC (Socket A, Athlon 2000) not being utilized. I reckon I can whack Linux on the old PC and VNC into the Windows one.

Before I start tinkering, I was wondering if someone has suggestions for what software to use, or if there is a more appropriate way of doing this.

I've been using Linux for years, but I always SSH from Linux to Linux or use Putty from Windows to Linux. I've never had to VNC or remote desktop from a Linux machine to a Windows machine.

Thanks.

I'm sure there are more out there but I use this one: It comes with both server and client. Most later linux distros have vnc already but if they don't, you can get the linux version at this site also. Since this software will allow access to any pc from anywhere in the world, I'd use the internal settings to allow access to the upstairs pc from the downstairs pc only. I would not require permission or he'd have to run upstairs to give it to himself every time he logged in. I would however, require at least a password.

When I install Linux on old PC's, I prefer to 'Thwack' it on instead of 'Whacking', it's easier on the filesystem.

Linux does have something much better than VNC. It's called RDesktop and connects to the Windows RDP protocol.

Thanks guys.

I just didn't want to go through the pain of trying umpteen VNC programs.

I'll give both a try.

Do you know if RDesktop will require port-forwarding on the router, or will it just work?

In most cases routers are setup to allow traffic on a network to flow unrestricted. Port forwarding only comes into play when a request is coming from the outside. The exception is in the case when a host or subnet is exposed to the outside world as in the case of a dmz. Those cannot be trusted so are isolated by putting a firewall between them and the rest of the network.

I've used RDesktop frequently to connect my F7 laptop to my WS2003 servers over remote. It works like a dream, but make sure to check out the man page so you get the right options.

If you're installing Ubuntu on the linux side, it's got compatibility with RealVNC right off a fresh install. I use it for work. Just put

vncviewer [IP Address]

into a terminal and you're ready to rock. The only possible problem is that you'll have to make sure it can get through the Windows box's firewall.

Ben
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. - Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back