Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC for desktop support. Good enough or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse924

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
Hi,

We manage a 35 user network, but currently do not use any remote control on desktops. We are a Win2K SP4 environment all around. Due to interdepartmental changes, we will soon be managing 65 desktops. We planned on upgrading to XP next year, so we do not have the benefit of utilizing Remote Desktops at this point. I have used VNC only for server management, and it's been great for what I need to do.

I'd like to know if anyone out there is using VNC as an integral part of their Help Desk. I'd like to include VNC on all 65 clients, until the XP roll out next year.

All feedback is much appreciated!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

We have installed VNC on all machines (65+) at our workplace. We don't have any problems with support via VNC at this time.

One thing to consider with XP Remote Desktop is if you are helping a user, they cannot see, and are logged off when you are using RD. With Remote Assistance they can see, and is interactive like VNC. With RA, they have request help, AFAIK.

You might try VNC Neighborhood, the latest version. I find it useful.

Jeff

JJ,

What flavor of VNC do you use? I am testing UltrVNC, as I like the fact that you can tie it into Windows 2000 AD authentication.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

i have been testing vnc neighbourhood with tightvnc as the server on my remote pc. when i try to access the pc with vnc neighbourhood i keep getting a "Bad NAme/Value pair" error.

has anyone seen this, know of a fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back