Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2002
US
We've been using ATT's VNC for a few years with relative success. However one users system died this week... I reinstlled W2K Pro then VNC and found that while it would take my password it would give an error message stating 'connection closed '. If I typed an incorrect password it would reject the password as it normally does.

I've searched for an answer and have found many links via Google, however most do not have a resolution to the problem. Has anyone here found a way to resolve this error? ( I've tried different NIC's, memory, and today even swapped out a new MB/CPU/MEM. each time remove and re-install Windows and VNC. No Change. ) All other PC's in the network continue to answer properly to a VNC session request. it is only this PC ( have tried on different LAN ports as well ) which seems to have a problem.

Thanks!

Paul

In case someone else runs into this problem, after installing the OS clean a number of times, trying W98, changing MB/CPU/RAM, Video card, NIC 3 times, Power supply...
VNC Connection Closed was caused in this instance by trying to run it without the video driver installed.

NOTE : this was not for the original hardware... I've got a functional system after more than a week of working on it: this user will have to accept a faster AMD 2800 system with an ATI 9600 Pro.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back