Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC errors if desktop on remote server is locked 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylc

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2005
GB
Hi,

Let me first say I'm by no means a technical user, however, I have be charged to find the solution to this.

Prior to the Christmas holidays, we have had no problems whatsoever using VNC from our local machines to connect to the main server (at least 3 of us did regularly).

However, since the new year, connection is only possible when the desktop on the server is not locked.

If it is locked, various errors are reported:
"read: Connections reset by peer (10054)"
"server closed connection unexpectedly."

I have also noticed that any attempts to send ctrl-alt-del is ignored, i.e. nothing happens.

Using VNC from the server onto a local machine poses no problems.

We are unaware of any manual changes mades to settings on VNC or our firewall.

Any advise, links, or direction is much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Cylc

The 'Connections reset by peer (10054)' error is often a 'timeout' problem (but can sometimes be a 'server unavailable' problem.

Try pinging the server and checking for long delays and/or intermittent failures?

Also, if you're using XP/2K, have a look in the Event Viewer and see if there are any errors.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Smorgan11 - the server is on MS Server 2003, the local machines are XP

Rick998 - There's no problems pinging the server, there's always a reply. And the event logs shows these 2 errors:

VNCServerWin32: TcpListener on port 5800 failed (unable to bind listening socket: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
(10048))

VNCServerWin32: TcpListener on port 5900 failed (unable to bind listening socket: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
(10048))

Thanks again

not a solution but why do you not use Remote Desktop Connection which comes with Windows XP?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I will ask the system admin.

VNC has always been in use since I started, there must have been a reason for it.

Thanks.

Looks like the ports used by VNC are already in use. On the server, open a command prompt and enter netstat -a. This will show you a list of TCP/IP ports and their connections.

Ports 5800 and 5900 should be in a 'Listening' state and show the 'Foreign Address' as 0.0.0.0:0, i.e. waiting for an incoming VNC connection. If there already a VNC connection then the IP address of the connection will be shown as the 'Foreign Address' and the state will show as 'Established'.

If there is a VNC connection already established but you cannot determine which PC is the connected client then stop the VNC server on the server (or right-click on the taskbar icon and select 'Kill [or Disconnect] all clients').

If you need to identify what software is using a particular port then have a look at:

What is using port XXX on my computer?

Hope this helps...

Thanks for all your help, the issue's been resolved now.

VNC was just running in the wrong mode - it should be in service mode not user.

Cheers!
Cylc

Its still a problem for us...after launching vnc and successfully connecting to the server remotely we are prompted for the local password...after which the session is closed.

IS VNC installed as a service on the server? and if it is, have you tryed to restart the service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back