Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC Connection shortcuts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

antdickens

Programmer
Nov 13, 2001
GB
I use VNC to connect to lots of different PC's which are used as CCTV systems. Is there a way i can have a shortcut on my desktop which will log me straight into a particular PC?

Thanks in advance

I'm using Ultra VNC viewer, and it supports a hostname option, so I create a shortcut with this in the target field:

C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\vncviewer.exe computername

I use the actual computername in the above line, and it connects just by double clicking on the link.

1) Connect to one of the PC's using VNC then either right-click on the VNC titlebar or press CTRL+ALT+F5. This should give you an option to save the connection info as a file.

2) Save the connection info as a .VNC file using a descriptive name, e.g. '192.168.23.50.VNC' or 'CAMERA1.VNC'. You'll be prompted whether you want to save the password in the file. You could save the file direct to the desktop but I suggest you save it elsewhere, e.g. 'My Documents\My Connections\'.

3) Create a shortcut on your desktop pointing to the location of the .VNC file, e.g. to y Documents\My Connections\CAMERA1.VNC. This let's you re-name the shortcut to just, e.g. 'Camera 1' without having to have a .VNC extension.

4) Create an association for .VNC files by opening a command prompt, navigating to the VNC installation directory then typing:

vncviewer -register

Now, when you click on the desktop shortcut it will use VNC to open the connection automatically. You will or won't be prompted for the password depending on whether or not you saved the password with the connection file.

You can do this for manually for each of your connections or copy/paste the .VNC file as a new file and just amend the IP address to point to another PC.

The file format of the .VMC file is below:

[connection]
host=192.168.23.50 (for example purposes only)
port=5900
password=**************** (real password hidden)
[options]
use_encoding_0=1
use_encoding_1=1
use_encoding_2=1
use_encoding_3=0
use_encoding_4=1
use_encoding_5=1
use_encoding_6=0
use_encoding_7=0
use_encoding_8=0
use_encoding_9=0
use_encoding_10=0
use_encoding_11=0
use_encoding_12=0
use_encoding_13=0
use_encoding_14=0
use_encoding_15=0
use_encoding_16=1
preferred_encoding=5
restricted=0
viewonly=0
fullscreen=0
autoDetect=1
8bit=0
shared=1 (1 = multiple connections; 0 = single connection)
swapmouse=0
belldeiconify=0
emulate3=1
emulate3timeout=100
emulate3fuzz=4
disableclipboard=0
localcursor=1
scale_num=1
scale_den=1

Note that the asterisks and bracketed info above won't appear in your own connection file. Note also that you can copy and paste the password from the registry by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default

On the right-hand side you will see a key for 'Password'. Just double-click on it and you'll be able to copy the password data.

Hope this info helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back