Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC between Solaris and Windows / two monitors - one keyboard 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjazz

MIS
Apr 9, 2002
DE
Hi Solaris experts,
I set up a vnc connection between a Solaris 10 x86 machine and a Windows PC.
I have two monitors, two keyboards, two mouses on my desk - each of them connected to one of the machines.
I just want to use one keyboard and one mouse (the Solaris ones) to access both systems.
On Windows VNC server is running and when I start vncviewer on Solaris I get an xterm back on the Solaris machine with my Windows session.
I don't want that really ... what I want is to have the mouse and keyboard working as I was sitting on just one machine (i.e. if I move the mouse to the boarder of one monitor I should see it on the second and be able to work there - and vice versa).
I am using the vnc package from the Solaris companion CD and the RealVNC Server Free edition on Windows.
Thanks in advance for your help,
mrjazz

You can connect multiple monitors on one box. Then you could VNC from the one to the other. You would still use the same keyboard mouse for both boxes. It isn't a whole lot different than what you have except you wouldn't have to worry about minimizing/maximizing the vnc terminal, since it could have it's own display.

The solution (at least the one I got to work) for using only one keyboard/mouse without having to change anything on the hardware is to use a software called synergy:
Everything is well-documented and within 10 minutes you can get it to work.

Thanks for the link Jazz!

Sweet! Hopefully we will see Vista support soon!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back