Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vnc-auto connect to listening PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2002
US
I have a handful of clients, and have been installing it one each PC. When there is an issue, I have them open vnc, click to add client, give them my ip or FQDN and then take control.

I would like to be able to setup a command line icon that will do all that automagically. Is that possible? I didnt see a command line option for it, and thought it might be a hidden feature.

will this work, or am I stuck having them type in info every time?

Why couldn't you have then start VNC change the password so it's only one that they and you would know and you connect that way? ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

I think you misunderstood. This isnt a trust issue, its infrastructure. 99% of my clients are behind NAT based firewall/routers. Nobody can get in un-announced as its not (generally) possible because of the NAT box. Yes, after setting up numerous display ID's and NAT mappings its possible-just not feasable. (One of my clients has 380+ terminals across their WAN, all hidden behind a single IP on a sonicwall)

Currently they either open VNC (or already have it running) and choose to "add new client" and PUSH the connection request outbound to my PC, where I take control. I want a way to speed up the process.

I would love for them to have an icon in the start menu that does all that for them. I know with the viewer, that you can use a command line to specify what host to connect to. I am looking for the same functionality, only the other way around; I want them to be able to grant me access to their machine with an icon. Currently the only way I know how is to talk them thru the task and have them type in my address. I'd love to be able to say "just click the icon and I'll take a look at it".

Sorry I misunderstood you.

Have you tried joining the mailing list for VNC and posting your question there? I'm sure someone must have had the same problem as you.

Also, I don't know how good you're at programming but you could download the source code and change what you need in the VNC server's code and recompile it and send this to the users you need to have it.

Something like this....

Sign up with a free dynamic DNS service such as or dns2go. Lets say you get the name CameraMonkey.no-ip.org. The address will alway point to your computer no matter what your IP address is [I'm not sure if you have a dynamic IP or static...if static forget this paragraph].

If you don't have a dynamic IP then simply use your IP address.

Open the source code for the server and find where the information is held for adding a client. See if you can find a way to put your IP in automatically and to automatically add you on startup of the server. I'm sure this must be feasible. It's all a matter of your programming abitlity, but I would first post your questions on the VNC mailing list.

====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Have you tried joining the mailing list for VNC and posting your question there? I'm sure someone must have had the same problem as you.
--------------

One step ahead of you... thanks ;)

And I SUCK at programming. LOL
Anything more than a batch file and I am lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back