Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC and redhat 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

sopham123

MIS
Jun 3, 2003
US
I have setup vnc on redhat9.0 but when i connect from my win 2k machine it does not display what is on my server. It displays a seperate desktop. Any ideas of how I make it disply the actual desktop that I see on my server?

Thanks!!

Using a VNC is limited for any Linux environment.
You won't get all the GUI stuffs. You will get a different display of what you've expected.
I don't think there's a better way right now.

--
Mike FN
"8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Web Programmer."

The standard implementation of VNC does not allow for "sharing" your desktop. It insted creates an entirely new desktop which can only be viewed with vnc client. However, KDE comes with another version of VNC which does allow desktop sharing of the actual desktop you are using. I suggest you switch to KDE and use it. I think there's another solution if you are not using KDE, but I forget it. This question has been asked and answered several times on tek-tips. Do a search for VNC under this form and the "Linux (client/desktop)" forum and you should find lots of information.

-Venkman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back