Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC access through two (2) Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GD03

Programmer
Oct 20, 2003
US
Hello, I would like to remotely access my MAC which is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme router which is connected to a Belkin router which is connected to the internet. I have forwarded port 5902 from the Belkin router to the Airport router which in turn forwards the port to the MAC I would like to access.

Lets say the Wan IP of the Belkin router is 1.1.1.1 so in turn I use 1.1.1.1:5902 to connect via VNC to the computer. In theory this should work if I have forwarded port 5902 all the way to the specific computer I would like to access.

By using this same method I was able to open port 548 (AFP) in order to access apple file sharing from that same computer. Is there something I may be missing here? If I can access port 548 I should be able to do the same with port 5902, I think? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GD03,

I'm not much of a MAC user, but I had something similar happen with our WinXP machines a little while back. I was only going through one router and trying to forward 5918 to an internal address. I opened the firewall on the XP machine, but no dice. In the end, I set VNC back to 5900, forward 5918 to the internal address and then in the advanced TCP/IP configs on the XP machine, put a forwrad for 5918->5900 to the local IP and then it finally worked.

I have no idea why it wasn't working in the first place and I don't know if you can do this sort of config on a MAC, but might be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back