Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC access from External IP to LAN help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

I am new in VNC, and I feel it is very useful and simple. Now I have a question, I need some help.

I installed a VNC server on one of my computer in my LAN @192.168.0.XX (xx = any 2-254), I am using the ICS to share the internet for my LAN, and I set up a application share in the Advance Setting in ICS. Now, I want to another person using VNC viewer or Web browers in Windows 2000 pro or XP through internet to access the computer with VNC Server installed of my LAN. In Web brower, the Java page could show up and asked for the password (the password is correct) then the error messages showed up "connection refused"

This two days, I try to find some relative information for it. I find some how to slove this behind firewall, proxy..etc. I think those are too advance for a win2k pro or XP user. Could any one can help me to slove my problem?

Thank

Daniel

How many computers do you have on your LAN? If I were you I would go out and buy a router (Linksys are good). This way you could add more computers to your LAN and can easily setup port forwarding to the computer that is running vncserver.

Thank, Mithrilhall

Yes, I think so that is the simplest way in Win2K Pro, but cost a little bit of money..

Thanks for helping to solve this problem.

Daniel

Thank, Mithrilhall

Thank for your help to solve this problem

Yes, I think so that is the simplest and easliest way, but it would cost me some money

thank a lot

Daniel

I think what you need to to is add two services in the settings of ICS.
1. to forward TCP port 5800
2. to forward TCP port 5900

The fact that you are getting the authentification page tells me you probably have port 5800 working (5800 is the built in http server). But you are not forwarding 5900, thus the "connection refused" error when you try to connect.

Dan

Thanks dankelt - it helped me through in some seconds - just the "5900" port routing ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back