Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vmx 200 - message question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2008
US
our vmx 200 crashed last week (hard drive failure).

our vendor was able to restore the OS and get us back to where we had voicemail boxes and even the the passwords worked, but some settings were not restored, like the messages on the voicemail system.

at one time the operator had the ability to put a message on the voicemail box of any user. unfortunately the book that had her notes was lost and she doesnt remember how she did that.

typically the user only puts in a message when they are out of the office, otherwise the operator created a message for them that says " james kirk cannot answer, please leave a message after the tone".

anyone have any idea what option the operator could take to put a message on users mailboxes? this isnt the usual option 4 then option 6 that the user does to put in a message.

If Your VMX crash, and you have no back-up of the messages in the system, then it is not possible to re-install these messages.
Only if you're usning redundant harddisks.

So you can be happy that the OS and the user config was restored on the new HDD.

I have some times backed up user messages from this system on to floppy disks - takes a looong time.

As messages are "dynamic" versus the users config (which you can copy to configuration back-up diskette) that is static, we often cannot "rescue" user messages after a HDD crash.

///doktor

what I am trying to figure out is that there was a way that the operator put a message on my voicemail, a separate way apart from my doing option 4 then option 6.

when I went out of town I would do option 4 then option 6 and put a different message on, then when I came back I would turn my message off, and the message the operator created would be there.

so how was the operator able to create a message for my phone\voicemail?

that is the piece of the puzzle I am missing.

OK, I see.
In our standard setup there is no difference if the operator or any other caller would leave a message to a user.
The users phone could either be forwarded to the hunt group of the voice mail system, or you could dial directly to the hunt group of the voice mail system and press star (*) and the mailbox number, to which you want to leave a message.

///doktor

I dont think I was very clear on what I was asking, sorry about that.

what I am concerned with is the OUTGOING message.

not a message that someone leaves, but the outgoing message the operator put on your voicemail that says your name when someone calls.

apparently there is the ability to have two separate outgoing messages.

the default outgoing message was what the operator put in somehow that only said "chipper jones doesnt answer", the other message is the one a user puts in with options 4 and 6 when they are going to be out of the office.

operator lost her book and doesnt know how she put outgoing messages in the system.

Sorry, I have not heard about this feature.
Maybe it is a PBX specific feature.
What type of PBX do you have?

///doktor

From what I can piece together, chipper is referring to a user's "Extended Absence Greeting', not a 'message'. And although from the voice mail system perspective the recorded greeting is truly just another 'message', it is a special message placed in a unique area of each user's mailbox. Compare this greeting 'message' to a caller leaving a call-answering 'message' which is deposited into a separate area of the user's mailbox.

So if I could be given some allowance here....

Chipper is stating that an operator, prior to the HDD crash, had the ability to record an Extended Absence Greeting in any user's mbx via a different method than logging into the mailbox, like the user would use pressing 4-6. Chipper would like to know which keys to press from the operators console, so this "alternate" ability can be used by the operator once again.

Please advise if I am over the left field fence here.

Pat

346pt, I think that you are on the right track, but we have not used that feature with our customer, so I am not familiar with it.

///doktor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back