Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vmware vmdk file converting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliyevelxan

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2009
Hi. I have test.vmdk workstation file. I wand convert for esxserver 4.0 . I tryed it by vmkfstools. i writed like that

vmkfstools -i test.vmdk edomain.vmdk

But i get the error

[root@ESX Edomain]# vmkfstools -i test.vmdk edomain.vmdk Destination disk format: VMFS zeroedthick Failed to open 'test.vmdk': Broken pipe (2097161).

The directory is right

Then i tried to do this instruction

But the problem not resolved. The system cannot recognized the file after operation vmware-vdiskmanager. Please help

If I am correct in reading your post, it's a bit difficult, you would like to convert a VMWare Workstation file onto an ESXi 4.0 machine?

Just use VMWare VConverter, when you select the source machine select VMWare Workstation or other VMWare virtual machine. That should convert it for you.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Thanks ArizonaGeek for your post. I did mistake on my steps I used vmkfstools. I copied the file not shutdowned server. i shutdown VMware Workstation file then copied the file, then used vmkfstools command. All is fine Thanks very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back