Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vmware guest cannot access internet via wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieVN

MIS
Dec 21, 2003
CA
Dear All,

I installed Vmware 5.5 on my laptop running Vista Business. My laptop can surf Internet via wireless (received IP from D-Link access point), but my guest Windows 2003 cannot receive IP from AP, I tried to chose Bridged and Custom: Vmnet0...pls take note my guest Windows 2003 can access Internet if I use cable (connect laptop - AP by cable). Please help. Thanks

Timing is everything.

Having same prob, and after finally finding 30 minutes or so to play with issue, I have concluded that the automatic bridging does not work. One of the following items solved the problem (may LOOK like a shotgun diagnosis..........)

1) I manually switched VMNET0 (Host / Virtual Network Settings / Host Virtual Network Mappings) to point to my wireless card. I later changed the back to automatic after finally getting Vista to work, and it doesn't appear to be the ultimate answer.
2) I created another ethernet bridged connection, reran vmtools install (repair), rebooted.
3) Disabled the original ethernet connection. This appears to have allowed the bridged connection to be "repaired" (note that XP took right off, but Vista had to be repaired).

For what it's worth, it appears that I have to manually enable / disable the appropriate ethernet bridge in order to bounce back and forth between wireless and cabled.

clark

steve c.
IT Architect
Lexmark International

Thanks for your prompt reply Clark, I have tried all of 3 items but the problem still could not be solved. So sad :((

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back