Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vmware ESXi4.1 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I have three Dell servers that are running ESXi4.1 and when trying to connect to them via the Dell Drac card the console appears but it goes all fuzzy when I try to log into them. This also happens when plugging a console directly into the physical server. I press F2 to login and nothing happens, this does seem to be an ESXi4.1 thing as all my RedHat Dell servers work fine.

So I can ssh into the server ok but from this can I change the following and if so how?

IP Address
Default GateWay
NetMask

Cheers

Nick

When you hook a physical keyboard/mouse/console you get fuzzy screen and F2 doesnt work? Is this correct? Or there is only an issue when trying to go through the DRAC card for ESXi management?

This will help you configure network remotely through command prompt:

Hello,

Yes, even when I hook up a physical console/keyboard/mouse I find that F2 does not work. Anything I type appears on the console. I found that physically turning off the ESXi server sometimes fixes this issue but that is not really the solution I'm after. When I connect in via the Drac the same issue happens when I lauch the virtual console. The usual login screen appears but the top half tends to be fuzzy and it will not take F2 but you can type what ever you like and it appears at the bottom of the virtual console screen.

I have about 8 other Dell servers but these are running RH5.6 and the virtual console works fine, for example I'm able to connect from home and rebuild a server if I need to. Before these 3 servers were running ESXi they ran RH5.6 and I had no issues with the virtual console.

The version of ESXi4.1 were running is the free one so will you're link suggestion work?

Have you performed firmware upgrades on the Dell in question? Firmware for the DRAC card as well?

Make sure the Dell's you are using are on the HCL:
Choose All for most of the windows (or defaults) and under Partner name choose Dell to refine the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back