Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMware ESXi 4 - backup VMs & licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rzammit82

Technical User
Sep 23, 2010
MT
Hi all

We just got a new dell R710 server. I got a free licence from vmware, downloaded it, burned it on a CD and installed vmware ESXi 4 on its 1GB card to act as hypervisor.

Then I allocated all hard disk space (~600GB) as a single datastorage repository. So far so good.

I also got vSphere as evaluation and installed it on a seperate machine, specifically my computer.

Finally created a new virtual machine running Windows 2008 R2 on it and works OK too.

What I need to know are two things:

1-Are these licences free? or we shall buy some?
2-Downloading from the datastore to a PC via network takes ages? what is the best method?

Thanks all for your help

The vCenter license is not free. If you just want standalone ESXi servers without clustering, vMotion, DRM, etc then those licenses are free.

Yes moving a VM from the datastore to a PC will take a long time, there's a lot of data to move. It would be very rare that you would need to move VMs from the server to a PC.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back