Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMware and forensics

Status
Not open for further replies.

layusn1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2007
HI, I am new here and trying to navegate the forums to figure out the best place to post this question and this one seems like a decent match. Anyway, here is my question....I work on computer security and forensic related topics and was wondering how VMware affects forensics. Specifically if a VMware image is deleted what traces of activity conducted on that image can be retrieved by forensics software. Could forensics software retrieve the image? If someone was to use a privacy utility that "erases" track/overwrites the drive would anything be recoverable from within the image if the image was recovered? From a network perspective, the internet traffic and file sharing traffic still has to pass through the host OS network adapter to the virtual adapter/image correct? What kind of evidence does that leave on the physical hard drive that hosted the VMware/image? Any thoughts/inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am not a forensics guy but I do have 2 cents lol.

I would thing on the actual host same rules apply on lifting a "deleted" image of the vm. If you can get the drive file you are set.

Now if you are in a VM and delete information in the vm, how easy is it to recover, I do not know but think that is interesting.

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back