Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMServer Access Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFI

Programmer
Jun 7, 2000
GB
Hello,

apologies firstly for this request for help being rather a "noob" question and quite possibly outside the remit of this forum.

I'm trying to install VMServer for the first time on my own PC, but I can't access the VMServer Home Page (from the start menu). I get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. I've searched around a bit on the internet for a solution, but all I can find is opening TCP port 8333 on the firewall, which I've done to no effect. Another post suggested adding the IP address and host name of my machine to my HOSTS file, but as I get my IP address from DHCP, I didn't think that would present much of a solution - I've tried connecting to the VMServer Home Page by IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.1:8333/ui/) and using localhost instead of the host name (i.e. localhost:8333/ui/) but with the same result each time...

The Apache Tomcat service says it's running and this is a fresh install, so what's gone wrong?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

NFI

Well, I figured it out in the end...

For anybody else having the same problem, check that the VMWare services have ALL started successfully. I had to manually start the "VMWare Host Agent" service and then ignore two or three certificate warnings to get the home page up...

NFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back