Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMS Drive Full Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

melsch

IS-IT--Management
Feb 29, 2008
US
I just started working with an Alpha 1000. This system holds historic company ERP information that is periodically referred to. While I have used SUN and HP versions of Unix, this one is new to me.

When a user tries to use the system to look up historical information, they receive an error that the drive space is full. I'm able to see that the drive that is being filled is the one which holds the data and not the system drive. When converting to a new ERP system, data was saved on the Alpha in the form of .DDF files. I've gone in and deleted some of these files which frees up some drive space and allows them to get the information they need, however, the next day the drive could be full again. I'm trying to figure out what is filling up the drives. I've tried checking for log files which are being created as well as backup file, but am struggling with finding the cause. I would like to do a Search of the entire system for files which have a modification date of yesterday or today so I can try to see what his happening. I know in SUN I could do a Find and specify from root so it searched all directories. Can someone provide me with the syntax to do this on the VMS? I'm able to do a Dir from each directory but since I am just learning the drive structure am obviously missing places to look.

Anyone have any suggestions of things to check that could be filling the drive? Syntac examples would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I believe the generic form of syntax to search subdirectories is

dir [...]<filename.extension>

To refine it to time, I think you have to append with

/since=yesterday

So, it looks something like this:

dir [...]filename.ext /since=yesterday

good luck.

VMS has a pretty good help library on its' DCL commands. Try entering:

$ HELP DIRECTORY

The command I'd suggest using would be:

$ DIR device:[*...]/SINCE=YESTERDAY/SIZE=ALL

This command will show all files in all directories and thier sizes in a in-use/allocated blocks format created since yesterday. You could also add /OUTPUT=FILE.TXT to write the output to a file.

Other commands that would help are:

$ SHOW DEVICE/OPEN device:

will display open files by process on the device.

Also SET DEFAULT in VMS = CD in unix.

Jeff

Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to find the problem and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back