Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMCHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouEnjoyMyself

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2004
US
Hello,

Does anyone have any scripts that eject multiple volumes? I am trying to do this using the VMCHANGE command. Any info, ideas, or help is appreciated.

We use the following , you may have to tweak slightly..

Eject tapes via
'vmchange -res -multi_eject -w -verbose -rn 0 -rt tld -rh <hostname> -vh <hostname> -ml x:y:z'

insert tapes via
'vmupdate -rt tld -rn 0 -rh <hostname> -vh <hostname> -use_barcode_rules -empty_map'

Rich

Will this work if say I want to eject 75 tapes? I am going to have the script read form a flat text file with the tape numbers in thier.

it should do, though everytime i run it, it tends to time out. don't think it happend to the other guys so it's probably just me. we have a 5slot load port, and if there's 17 tapes to swap it will prompt you to do batches of 5 at a time, then 2 etc.

Rich

Thanks alot. I got it to work, let me know if you ever figure out yout timeout issue.

Okay:

Here is what I have going on:

I call the script:

FOR /F %%i IN (D:\\eject.txt) DO D:\\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmchange -res -multi_eject -w -verbose -rn 1 -rt tld -rh verbackup -vh verbackup -ml %%i>>D:\\ejectoutput.txt

As you can see I am trying to pulll the tape numbers from a flat text file.

My text file looks like this:

The script ends up ejecting each tape individually one at a time. I think the error is that I dont have them seperated by a ':' . Anyone else run into this and found a work around. Thanks in advance

in unix you could prob auto change the file, or generate it differently, but in microsoft world, dunno

Rich

I think your right. The usage does show that a " : " is suppose to be the separator.

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -multi_eject -w [-h volume_database_host] -res -ml
media_id:media_id: ...:media_id -rt robot_type -verbose -rn robot_number -rh robot_control_host

have you tried using a single line with colon separated ID's?
002880:002882:002886:002887

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back