Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM to email Google MX 2

j.flanagan

Technical User
Apr 16, 2019
US
I have a customer that has an IP500v2 and a VM Pro running on a Windows server. They've been receiving voicemails to emails for years now through their Google MX service. Recently they updated their data network. Part of that update was to change the public facing IP of their network and therefore, the public IP that shows when the VMPro sends its vm to emaill. Now, those messages are getting blocked by Google MX. The customer has attempted to go through their spam filters and white list traffic from the IP but the messages are still getting blocked and tagged with this note. "Messages missing a valid Message-ID header are not 550-5.7.1 accepted. For more information, go to .......) The message ID that is being shown in this error message is "a whole lot of numbers SMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING@mx.google.com"

I dont have access to the customers Mail Exchange but if I can feed them any information or tips on getting this resolved, it would be great.

I suggest you look at the SPF record in the DNS for the from domain. And add the include for the sending server. The SPF record is to help in preventing email spoofing. It lists the servers and networks permitted to send email on behalf of your domain.

You can go here and lookup your current SPF https://mxtoolbox.com/SPF.aspx

if just an IP address add this ip4:10.1.10.55 (use the public IP of the sending server)
if it is from a hostname add this include:my_host_name.net (the hostname for the sending server)
NOTE the : (colon) between the ip4: and include: it is needed

Google has become very strict in rejecting email from senders not permitted in SPF

This should fix your issue

I run into this issue very often and feel a longer explanation is warranted

let's say for example you are sending out emails FROM vmail@mydomain.com from a server with a public IP 10.1.10.155

if the SPF record in the DNS of mydoamin.com does not list the ip4:10.1.10.155 as permitted to send email on behalf of the mydomain.com domain. Gmail WILL reject the message

SPF is just a TXT record in the domain that will look like this:

v=spf1 ip4:10.1.10.155 include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:amazonses.com ~all
the above says allow Microsoft, AmazonSES and 10.1.10.155 to send email from mydomain.com

the ~all or -all at the end just states how forceful the domain is regarding SPF. The ~all is loose adherence where -all is strict. Most I see are ~all but if the user does NOT want any spoofed email from their domain will use the -all

all possible servers or IP addresses sending emails from @mydomain.com need to be listed, or a recipient server will reject them if it is being strict. Over the last year, more and more email servers are adhering to SPF rules

Last edited:

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back