Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM Converter - Dynamic Disks on Win2K3 No Go! - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetAdmin2004

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
US
I have been trying to find the best way to migrate a Wndows 2003 Server running 2 sets of Dynamic Disks (C: - OS and D: - Data). This is setup for mirroring utilizing Windows 2003 built in software RAID.

I read an article on VMware's KB stating a workaround is to break the mirrored volumes, then try migration (converting) using Converter. Did that and still no go...

Trying to find an alternative method, but wanted any input or experience people have had with this issue and what would be the best thing to try first. Thought about trying offline conversion next... Any thoughts?

Details:

ESX 3.5

VI 2.5

VMware Converter Enterprise 1.0

Any help is appreciated!

Thank You!

The most important thing is that you never change your source system. Otherwise you will not have anything to fall back to.
For virtualizing dyn disks, you will need some third party imaging soft. I know Acronis is capable of doing this.
Restore it to a VM you created manually.
To inject the storage drivers you can use the ultimate p2v boot cd. Google for ultimate p2v, and the link will pop up.

Good luck.

Okay sounds good.... Thanks for the response... I am going to give that a shot next...

Ed

For anyone out there that runs into this issue... I think I have a few suggestions to try.

I was finally able to do a cold import into VC BUT there are a few considerations you may want to review.

1. If you have multiple partitions and/or Disks, do not try and import everything at once. Start with your primary OS partition and see if you can at least get the VM to boot.

2. If that works, you can move on... If not, I suggest the BartPE method mentioned by stupman above....

3. Now you can create a new Disk (vmfs) for your secondary disk. Go ahead and create it, then boot into your box and finish initializing it as you would a Physical machine with a new Hard Drive installed. you should see your unallocated space appear in the computer management -> Disk Management snap-in screen.

4. Copy your old data off the drive or partition you did not get moved to a network location and then copy it to your new VM's drive you just created.... If it were me, I would keep the same drive letters you had before... Makes life a lot easier....

That's about all I can suggest.... Worked for me...

-Ed-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back