Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM 4.0 connection troubles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rendersman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2001
CA
Hi all.. We have a vm4.0 connected to a Modular 8x24 dr5 phone system. I have found that if we power off the vm machine and then bring it back up, there is a good chance that it will not connect to the phone system.. Often, it requires having the vm off for 10-15 minutes before it will connect properly..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

First off, you've got a pretty old phone system. I'd definitely recommend a decent UPS. When the 824 goes down, there's a chance you could lose programming.

Also, the VM has a hard drive in it. Just like any PC, when you power it off, make sure you give the drive time- at least 30 seconds- to spin down. When you pull power, and immediatly restore it, you can damage the drive.

The real question, though, why are you needing to power down the VM at all?

I have it on a UPS, which is part of my recent experiences actually. The phone system and VM have been running on a 1500 VA UPS for the past 3 years.. The UPS battery warning light came on and so I took the system down to replace the UPS batteries.. Of course, the phone system memory caps had failed and we lost our programming.. 20 lines/60 phones and several hours later, I had it back up and running.. But I found, that the vm would connect to the phone system only if it was left off for 10-15 minutes.. I tried a number of things, including resetting the DS30 fibre box and changed the set relocate feature to either setting.. I have sourced a data module from ebay that seems to hold the programming on power fail but am still left with this intermittent vm problem. I am sure there are plenty of vendors out there that would love to solve my problem the old fashioned way but the system is functioning fine and I have reprogrammed it twice now, kinda fun in a wierd way..

As it happens, the system had not been reprogrammed since the original installation, 1995ish. I may be imagining this but it does seems a bit more lively ;)

Rob

Check your version under F983 - login - then press 9. If you see 4.0.04A, this version had problems with the channels going to sleep. The only fix for this is to upgrade to at least 4.0.04C.

Brian Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back