Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

maczen

Instructor
Apr 12, 2008
US
In my previous post in Bobby's thread I inadvertently selected an incorrect block to subnet...

172.16.19.0 /22
borrowed 6 bits and created
172.16.19.0 /28

That did not allot me the 64 subnets that I was looking for because...
Two of the borrowed bits were already being used for the .19..

Does this mean that I could have used..
172.16.4.0 /22 and borrowed 6 bits to create a /28 with 64 subnets
x.x.00000100.x
OR
172.16.252.0 /22 and borrowed 6 bits to create a /28 with 64 subnets
x.x.11111100.x

I believe that I have finally grasped the binary side of subnetting in it's entirety here but seeking confirmation!!! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Mac,

You're exactly right. By the same token, you can summarize blocks of addresses by decreasing the bits in the mask. The patterns are always the same. Move the bit boundary to the right chops up the address space with each bit doubling the number of networks but cutting the size in half. Move the bit boundary to the left and you're glueing address space together with each bit doubling the number of hosts and cutting the number of networks in half.

I'll say it again...
There are 10 types of people in the world...those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Burt

Tad---how long has it been since you've messed with PIXs? I'm going to post a newb ? tomorrow---seems I can't get things to go through, though I thought I had the right conduits (tcp and udp 3389 any to any for RDC).

Burt

LoL..Burt, Just graduated from maczen type 0 to maczen type 1..

Thanks Clue... awesome!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Burt,

Get rid of the conduits and use ACLs. I'll take a look at the config in the other thread.

Thanks guys.. Hey Burt/Clue..
Please take a peek at my Diffie-Hellman post in the Information Security Group if you have a chance and let me know if I have a grasp on DH... Want to play with eliptical curve/RSA etc.. but only after I get the basics down..

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Still waiting on my CCNA Security book from Half.com.. Should have paid to expedite shipping.. LoL

Please let me know if I got DH.. Thanks..

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back