Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLDB Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktripp

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
I've tried using the dos utils for managing the ArcServe VLDB without success. How does everyone manage their VLDB database?

I am able to use them with the exception of dbdefrag, it runs but then reports that DBSTAT worked. Which is not what I was wanting. Any ideas on how to get DBDEFRAG working correctly would be greatly appreciated.

(This is for Arcserve 2000, build 1053)

I have never seen a DBDEFRAG utility for ArcServe VLDB, from version 6.6(?) up to 2000. Somehow they mixed up the filenames:

DBDEFRAG.EXE is the DBSTAT utility
DBSTAT.EXE is the DBIMP utility
There is no DBDEFRAG utility!!!!!!!

To make things even more difficult, the help message of the DB* utilities return the text you typed at the command line as their tool name...

E:\>DBdefrag.EXE /?

usage: DBdefrag.EXE [-?] [-v] [-b #] [-k #] [-nb] [-nk] [-nd]

Read it carefully, AND make sure that you have many gigs of free space on the drive hosting the Arcserve DB before using this utility.

You can see which drive Arcserve uses by opening a CMD window and issuing a NET SHARE

ARCSERVE$ will point to the drive Arcserve is using... Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back