Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2013
So I know what vlans are for and what tagging is. I have a job that has multiple ports being tagged in different VLANS. IE port C24 in 3 different vlans. (vlan 10, 108 and 170) My question is why would you put a port in multiple tagged vlans? My example is there is a server vlan and a voip vlan. There is a port on the switch that is tagged for both vlans. Why I am not sure of because the server does not need to talk to the VOIP vlan. I am concerned because there are some ports with many dropped packets. Thanks in advance.

why have a trunk port (multiple vlans):
- connection to a switch or a router on a stick.
- connection to a server running some sort of virtual switch
- connection to a physical server that supports 802.1q

- why tag both voip and XX vlan ? usually that gets plugged into a Phone, the PC is daisy changed to the phone. The phone processes the voip vlan packet, and strips the other xx vlan from the tag and passes it out to the PC..

why are yo concerned?
how did you get this jorb?

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back