Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLANs causing me a headache!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryptor

Programmer
Sep 19, 2004
GB
Hi all,

First I'm going to start by apologising......I have only just started to look into VLANs as originally we had a company who came and set them up for us about 4 years ago.

We as a company now have a need to offer public wifi, something that was not essential previously due to the type of setup we have and operate under. WE have just purchased a load of TP-Link EAP225 APs. What I would like to do is to setup our wifi network on a VLAN of its own so that I can then get our current DHCP server to blast out a new subnet of IPs so that we can keep our data separated from our wifi guests............

Now we have a HP E3800 which is currently setup with 2 VLANs. One is for all computers/mfps (192.168.2.x) the other is our virtual servers (192.168.3.x).

What I would like to know is do I create a new VLAN and name it wifi assigning 192.168.4.x as the range and mark it as Tagged/Untagged/No on the setup and then attach another switch to this dedicated port on the VLAN and plug all wifi AP in there, create a new DHCP Scope on existing server and hope this works as expected or do i need to do a different setup completely or even partly?

Please go gently on a newbie with a VLAN question as I have spent the last 3 days trying different things only to stop an entire network or kill parts of it and have the CEO chasing me to get it sorted.

ALL help is appreciated 😀

Thanks,
Dave

If at first you don't succeed then I guess your in the right place to ask why! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back