Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLANS and VTP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfairy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2003
GB
Hope someone can help.

I was under the impression that if I have a core switch set up as a VTP server, that when I add a new switch to the network all I have to so is whack it into vtp client mode with prunning, throw in a domain and password, and the switch will pick up the vlan info from the core VTP server broadcasts. However it's not working for me. On a new switch I trunk the gig0/1 and gig0/2 uplink ports:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk

I then enter vlan database and enter:
vtp domain 'domain name'
vtp pruning v2-mode
vtp password 'password'

I then apply changes and the change the vtp server back to a client. I thought that this would then pick up the core VTP server info - but it hasn't :(

Am a way off the mark or close?

Thanks

Rich

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying

basically do this.. which might be what you're doing..

setup your trunks to the core switch. then do this

vtp client
vtp version 2
vtp domain 'domain name'
vtp password 'password'

I don't think you need to do the vtp version 2 command because it auto senses, if I remember right...

you might make a change on a vlan at the core, like rename a vlan or something, that'll cause changes to get pushed automatically instead of waiting..

BuckWeet

Be careful. The latest VTP advertisement is considered to be the greatest. You should already have a new switch configured as client before connecting it to the network. Since you mentioned turning it back to client mode, I assume you started in server mode. This can be disasterous.

Do a "show vtp status" on both switches. That may help you see if they are talking. Also, doesn't CDP have to be running for VTP to work? I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back