Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLANs and PVID 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilKGH

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2003
GB
Can anyone explain in plain English what role the PVID plays in the creation and use of VLANs on the Baystack 450 and 470 switches? If I am creating port based VLANs, do I need to do anything with the PVID or should I set it to Auto?

Regards,
Phil.

hi,
The role of pvid in baystack 450,470 and BPS2000 is to do some filters on certain circumstances.
if u use auto pvid the configuration will go smoothly with no problems.
if u select manual pvid u have to be care when entering the pvid for each port.

OK, thanks shyguy. However, at what point does AutoPVID kick in, or how do we apply it? I created VLANS 2 and 3, applied AutoPVID, and even restarted the switch but the ports on VLANs 2 and 3 were still showing PVID = 1.

Regards,
Phil.

Further questions on VLANs:

When putting a port into a different VLAN, what are the issues where VLAN1 is concerned?

My original understanding was that all workstations except management ones should be removed from VLAN1 but I'm coming to the conclusion that removing a workstation from VLAN1 takes away its ability to communicate with other workstations in its own VLAN. Also, if a workstation is put into a new VLAN and left in VLAN1, it can ping others in its own VLAN but telnet is disabled.

Can anyone clarify what should be done when creating VLANs, in terms of leaving or removing from VLAN1, and what functions are still enabled or disabled.

Regards,
Phil.

One Port can be a member of many VLANS as membership tells us what you listen to.

One Port can only have one PVID as PVID tells us how you transmit.

Under most situations you would want to listen and transmit to the same VLAN, so AutoPVID is usually the effect you want.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

PVID comes into play on PORT based VLANs only , untagged traffic coming into a port will be placed on this default VLAN. If you leave auto PVID on it will assign to the default. I prefer to specifically set it thereby ensuring I verify the VLAN our untagged traffic will end up on
---p

I would recommend setting the PVID. Never have used AutoPVID.

The PVID is basically defined as:

The VLAN that the switch will use for forwarding/filtering purposes when a frame arrives without a 802.1q header.

This allows the switch to process traffic from workstation NIC's that are not "stamping" frames with 802.1q headers. As previously stated elsewhere in this thread, AutoPVID is usually the preferred setting, usually resulting in a PVID of 1 (native VLAN).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back