Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN's and Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

stompin

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
GB
OK I need some config advice please off one of you VLAN guru's!

I have a 24 port L3 switch which I need 10 VLAN's on, lets say VLAN IP SN's 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.10.0. Plugged into each switchport will be an unmanaged switch which connects to the clients. The remaining ports on the L3 switch will host servers. Each client will point to the VLAN IP for their GW's.

OK, I need each VLAN to access the DSL router for internet access and how do the servers communicate - what IP range would I use for the servers?. Is this L3 or L2 addressing?

I hope this makes sense, but in a nutshell... I need 10 VLAN's on a L3 switch with servers on the same L3 switch all able to connect to the BB Router.

Any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

You should post to the switch or router group but here goes.

In this scheme there will actually be 11 networks on the switch. 10 for your design and 1 to connect the switch to the router.

Make sure routing is enabled on the switch.

Make the first port on the switch an uplink to your dsl router.
Give the port an ip address in the same range as the router.

Make a default route on the switch that sends all traffic to switch port 1 or to the ip address of the dsl router.

Make the 10 vlans.
Assign an ip addresses and subnet mask to each of the 10 vlan.
Assign physical ports to each of these vlans.

Assign an ip address, mask and gw to each client and connect them to appropriate switch port.

Assign a route on the dsl router that sends to all the 192.168.0.0 (mask 255.255.240.0) traffic to the ip address assigned to switch port 1.

Cheer's - what about the servers? - would they be sitting on VLAN1 and would I therefore need to give this vlan an ip?, or would the switch access these servers over L2?

Thanks

The servers could sit on any vlan to which you assign an ip address. So, I'd suggest another vlan (12 total) for the servers (in case you want to secure it later with an access list).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back