Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN with RV082

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinstalled

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
Hi,

I'd like to set up a small office in our building to use
our T-1 without having access to our Network.

Now immediately I think of an Ethernet router to hook the two together with the other office being on their own subnet.

Then I see that the Linksys RV082 that we use as our Gateway
router has a VLAN setting in port management. I've never used or set up a VLAN before so please excuse a little ignorance on the subject.

Will a VLAN get me there?
It appears that setting one port to be, say VLAN2, and running a drop from that port to a switch in their office would get me where I want to be. They would use the same Network Addressing but not have access to hosts outside of that VLAN (VLAN2).

Is this accurate?

Thanks,

Your opening sentence is confusing. If you are not going to access the network, why connect to the DS1?

Please explain what you are trying to do?

A VLAN is like a "private line circuit" that rides along with the other data transmissions on the Ethernet. Setting one up can be complicated, depending on the hardware (routers and switches), and whether they are Layer 2 or 3 devices.

....JIM....

This is a small Deli shop below our office.

We want to provide them with Internet access without "seeing" any resources on our Network.

Have you read the manual? The RV082 is a router primarily designed for VPNs, but it has other features too. I glanced at the manual, and it seems very deficient in examples, and only mentioned VLAN in the Port Management area. Nothing else was mentioned.

Configuring a second VLAN and running a CAT5e cable to the other office would provide you with the separate resources you need for the LAN. You may need to contact Linksys support or search their website for any support info on VLANs on the RV082, since it is not covered in the manual version I just read.

Evidently, all eight of the LAN port could be assigned as separate VLANs if needed. Just my guess, but you may have to do some trial and error to see if it will work for you.

Otherwise, one other solution would be to add another router for the other LAN.

Let us know what your results are.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back