Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN setup with Linksys SRW2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

boazrf

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2006
US
I’m having many difficulties setting up VLANs with Linksys SRW2016. Specifically trunk a port doesn’t operate as expected – no transferring data from other VLANs.
Unfortunately the documentation does not include tutorials / concepts / examples that I can use to confirm that I’m doing it right.
Such documentation or an expert advice would be most helpful.

My network requires setting up one SWR2016 that accept 2 VLANs, and send them out (via trunk port) to a second SWR2016 that continue to maintain that VLAN separation and send everything to the router.

-VLAN1->|SRW2016 | VLAN1->|SRW2016 |--> [ROUTER]
-VLAN2->|== 1 ===| VLAN2->|== 2 ===|

Thanks,

Boaz

The srw2016 looks similiar to the web interface for my srw224g4 - so try this

Create your new VLAN and on the VLAN tab mark the ports that you want that VLAN traffic to pass on as Member - Included and Tagging - Untagged for that VLAN and Member - Exclude and Tagging - None for each of the other VLANs.
For the Trunk port mark it as Member - Included and Tagging - Tagged. Now go to the VLAN Inbterface Setting tab and mark the trunk ports as trunk.
Do the same on your second switch for each trunking port including the one to the router. Now your router should read the tags and route them appropriately using the sub-interfaces.

I couldn't find a manual either and used trial and error.
Hope this helps.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Brent,

Let me try to clear this for myself:
You suggest to set the trunk port and a member of the VLAN (why?) and set the other memeber as untagged (why?).
What happens with the second VLAN - should I create another trunk port for each VLAN? Which of those trunk goes to the router?

Thanks,
Boaz

The trunks will be members of each VLAN and will pass each VLAN's traffic.

The edge ports will only pass that specif VLAN's info out that port as untagged (end device is not VLAN aware and will barf the the larger packet header.)

The Router should be attached to a trunk port and should be VLAN aware so it can process the extra header bytes. Make the router is using 802.1q and not ISL.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

I think you are confused on what trunks do.

They do not route between VLAN's, they link switches together.

Jason Wienert
Brisbane, Australia
GoldMine, Avaya, ACCPAC CRM

Please remember to thank preople for their valuable input.

No, I think I am pretty good there - There are several definitions of trunks (depending on vendor.) The trunks I was talking about carry multiple VLANs. As seen here

For inter-vlan routing - Please re-read my response. Notice I said connected to a router. You can also do this via a layer 3 switch if you desire.

This will give you a better idea of what is happening

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

Hallo,
as owner of SRW224G4 switch I am unable set port sharing for 2Vlans. Looks that it don't work.
Supergrrover I try your tip hiow setitup but I must do somewhere some mistake.
My target is:
Vlan 1 - main group of local computers and printers can acces G1 port - server and port 1 - Internet
Vlan 2 - wifi users can access internet and server, not local computers.
Vlan 3 - can access only server and Vlan 2 clints
wifi members will be asigned by MAC address to Vlan 1 ,Vlan 2 or Vlan 3 because some wifi clients are trusted clients and must be part of our local computers and printers.

And at end Vlan2 and Vlan3 will be at lower level in QoS than Vlan 1 clints with acces to Internet or Server.

In future here will be Vlan 4 for VoIP adapters to acces Internet with Highest QoS level.

This setup I try make for more than 3 weeks and not able to setup it. Linksys tech support not answer me for 2 weeks and other manuals and documentation I am not able to find.
Please can help me someone?

Thanks
Janekx

You can segment the traffic with the VLANs, but you will need a router that is vlan aware (8o2.1q) to talk between the vlans. All of the stuff you want to accomplish will need that router.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

Yes this I find out now too, I will use WRT54GL router with Sveasoft Talisman FW and it basicly support 16Vlans vis web config and buildin chip 4096 Vlans ;)
and this is needed also to servers NIC to have multi Vlan support, right?
But I am not able to setup QoS, but don't know why.
Simply only for ports.
port1 - internet
Port G1 - server
port 23 - wifi lower QoS level
all other ports - higher QoS level
port 4 - VoIP premium QoS level

When I setup
Port 1, G1, 4 to CoS to 5 and other leave 0. But Acces to Server from ports doesn't priorize local computers from other lower level.

Thanks for any tip.

Jankex

OK, you have me there. I haven't done QoS on that switch. I mostly use Cisco. Linksys is for clients who can't afford it and then they don't really need QoS. I don't have one to test anything on as it was a clients.

Sorry I am not much help on this one.

When you figure it out, post your results. I am sure it will help a lot of people.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

Yes,
looks that QoS is designed like Catalyst 2950.
But just don't know why it not work, mabey that port is 100Mbit and ADSL is only 4Mbit so shaping is designed to port speed not to ADSL speed.
will try to manualy lower ingress and egress speed to 4 Mbit and then setup priorization to Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back