Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN segmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiefttimby

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2004
CA
Is multiple VLAN segmentation possible off of one Cisco 2900XL switch port? I have uploaded a PDF diagram of what I am trying to accomplish.

The goal is to have host 1 and 3 (VLAN 10) traffic segmented from host 2 and 4 (VLAN 20) traffic. Also, all hosts should be able to access the public network (ie. Internet).

I have tried configuring f0/2 and f0/3 as multi mode VLAN ports on the switch, with f0/1 acting as trunk. The 2621 f0/1 interface is configured with VLAN 10 and 20 tagging via sub-ifs.

The big question is, is multi-VLAN member switch port smart enough to keep the different VLAN traffic traveling through it separate? That is, will traffic originating from host 1 be invisible to host 2?

If so, how would I go about configuring the switch and router given the goal outlined above?

Thanks in advance!

if your unmanaged switches are cisco then yeah.

on your 2621 do the following:

int fa0/1
duplex full
speed 100

then
int fa0/1.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
ip address x.x.2.1 255.255.255.0

****dot1Q 2 relates to vlan 2

then
int fa0/1.3
encapsulation dot1Q 3
ip address x.x.3.1 255.255.255.0

****dot1Q 3 relates to vlan 3

then on your 2900 on ports 1,2 and 3
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk

then also on the 2900

vlan database
Vlan 2
Vlan 3

then on your unmanaged switches ( hopefully cisco if not get em..)

configure the uplinks like you did the 2900

then make sure that you add the vlans to the database as well.

then assign the correct vlan to the port on the unmanaged switch like so for vlan 2

switchport encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 2
switchport mode trunk

and then assign the correct vlan to the port on the unmanaged switch like so for vlan 3

switchport encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 3
switchport mode trunk

does this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back