Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN query

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2000
GB
Hi there. I'm currently running a network with the IP range 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.3.254, with around 200 devices on the network.

We are implementing a VOIP PBX and have been advised that we should set this up using a VLAN to separate and prioritise the voice traffic on the network.

I have 2x HP ProCurve 1810G-24 switches and a Netgear GS748TP switch, which i believe all support VLANs, my plan is to put all the VOIP phones on the Netgear switch as this is a POE switch.

I've never used VLANs before so i've got a couple of questions
1) I'm running DHCP on my network via a Windows 2008 R2 server - how do i provide the VOIP VLAN with DHCP addresses - do i need to add a network card to my server, and then set up a scope in DHCP to provide addresses just to that network, and plug it into one of the VOIP VLAN ports on the switch? (I'm thinking of using IP range 10.0.10.1 to 10.0.10.254)
2) If i'm using VLANs on each of the switches, do i need to link a VOIP VLAN port on each switch together to link them?

Thanks for any advice!
James Wilson

The problem you will have is while all of these switches support VLAN and operate at layer 2, you will need a layer 3 routing device for these VLANs to communicate with each other. So to answer your questions is you did have a layer 3 device

1. You can do it this way if you did not have a layer 3 switch or router, but again, you would need a layer 3 device to have those VLANs talk and while you can enable routing and remote access on your Windows server using two NICs...using a Windows server as a router has never really been a good idea to me. With a layer 3 device, just create a scope on the DHCP server for the new subnet and on your layer 3 device add a ip helper or DHCP relay statement pointing to the DHCP server ip address.

2. Connecting switches and passing VLAN tag information between each other is called tagging in HP world, Cisco uses the phrase trunking for their IOS.
You create the VLANs on each switch, then you tag the uplink port for that VLAN on each switch.

There are many questions answered about vlan tagging in the HP:E series network section of this website Also, you can search for proper QoS config needed for your handsets and type of phonesystem as well in that sections as I know I have posted answers myself for both Avaya and Mitel systems when connecting to Procurve switches.

Hope that helps.

I think it all depends on your budget. If you can afford to have at least 1 layer three switch preferably a procurve 2620 or higher model, then it will be able to communicate between the VLANS. However you still run into a problem if you want the two networks to talk. Meaning if you have Unified clients running on desktops or you need to adminstrate the VOIP system (VOIP VLAN) from a PC on the (DATA VLAN). If that is the case then you will need a router that has two WAN ports (you can pick one up for under $75 at most Office Depots). It will need to have each subnet programmed on each WAN port.

Last question, why would you want to run the VOIP phones on the DHCP server? Second point of failure. Does the VOIP system not provide DHCP?

"Voice and Data Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back