Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN on cisco1900 CAtalyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hiz,

Can you help? I would like to set up VLAN's on my switch. Now I have for switches uplinked toogether and Enterprise edition on theme. There are two subnets :

- 10.192.1.x
- 10.192.2.x

of class C. I want to assign Class of IP addr. for individuals ports, for inst. : port nr. 6 (class address 10.192.1.x) and for port nr. 8 (class addr. 10.192.2.x). Is this possible and if so, can you give me a short note how to do it ?

thx,

-maras-

assign a each port on the switch its own Ip address??
Why even do you want to do this?

You only have to assign IP's to the management interface of the switch NOT TO THE INDIVIDUAL PORTS !!!
It is a switch, there is no layer 3 being done on the interfaces of the switch (unless it's an XL series or L3 etc, basically unless it's an L3 switch).

So this is what you need to DO: you have 2 networks, if you want to segregate your host's to these networks you create 2 VLAn's and assign the VLAN's a gateway and then all should be cool. If you have further problems send me an email, there is a lot of stuff available on:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back