Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN effect in Windows 2000 domain 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
US
I have one network that has about 200 computers in an active domain. I want to create VLANs in this network. However, I am concerned that maybe the active directory will not work after the network is splited into 2 VLANs.
Is there anything I should pay attention in this matter?

I know I need to setup bootp for DHCP to work. However, will DNS or other services work afterwards?
I dont plan to split the 1 active directory network into 2.
Thank you for your help.

No problem with using VLANs as long as you remember to add all the subnets to the correct AD site.

Neill

Not sure what AD has to do with VLAN's. I have three VLAN's on my local network, all with their own subnet, all taken care of by the router as far as connecting the subnets together (or not, depending upon the situation). I made no changes in AD other than adding DHCP scopes for the new subnets.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

We haven't run in to any major problems other than some small configuration hurdles like configuring the switches for DHCP server. Our network has 2950 and 3550 Cisco switches. I would be able to help if you are using similar networking devices.

-Keshav

I have a 3550 switch and I plan to use VLAN on it. My network computers have all static IPs. I want to change them to use DHCP to obtain IP.
Is there any specific IOS command that I should be aware of?
If I enable DNS DHCP dynamic updates, then DNS server at the end of the day will have complete records of all the computers in AD, right?

add the IPHelper address to the switch pointing to your DHCP server. And, yes, DNS will have record of all your computers... if you have downlevel clients, make sure that DHCP is doing the DNS registration for clients that do not support it.

~Intruder~
CEH, CISSP, MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong"

You have to add IP Helper address to your L2 switches (2950 switches in my case) in all the VLANs except for the switches in the VLAN you have your DHCP server. We are using 2950 switches for L2 switching and a 3550 swtich for L3 switching between VLANs.

-Keshav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back