Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN connectivity - Cisco/Nortel

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazk1

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
GB
I have a Cisco core (dual 3750 switches) which have user vlans configured. Lets say VLAN 10 and VLAN 20

I have a number of Nortel BayStack 450-24T switches (access switches)which are to be used by client PCs.

How do I configure the Baystack ports to become members of the correct VLAN.

Where VLANs are concerned, is there any special configuration needed for the Cisco or Nortel ports connecting the two switches ? How do I configure the Cisco end ? How do I configure the uplink port at the Nortel end ?

How do I then configure each port on the Baystack to access either VLAN10 or VLAN20 ?

Is there any good documentation out there on this subject ?

Chazk1,

A whole bunch of questions there. Let me see if I can understand what you are trying to do. You are trying to extend your user vlans to your nortel's 450 switches.

First you need to create the same vlan ID on the 450 that you have on the cisco switch.

second how are you going to uplink the 450 to the cisco swirth by fiber or Cat5? You need to untag the access ports which are the ones connected to the PC's and tag the uplink port with the appropriate vlans.

Give me some feedback to my questions

One gotcha you should not run into but may:

Nortel allows the incoming tags to be in one VLAN (just be a member of that VLAN) and the outgoing packets to be tagged on another VLAN (the PVID)

Most other vendors implementations assume the VLAN and PVID are the same, and indeed they usually are on Nortel gear. They will HAVE to be, to be interoperable.

So if you have done something 'clever' with your 450s you may need to dumb them down.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Cogen..Port 1 on each BayStack will be patched using Copper to one of the ports on the Catalyst 3750. An example of how the Cat port is configured:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/4
description SUTMAUS1E
switchport access vlan 20
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
duplex full
speed 100
spanning-tree bpduguard disable

Should 'switchport mode access trunk' command be included ?

Should port 1 be tagged for all VLANs created on Baystack?
Is this the same for default VLAN 1 ?
Then I need to assign ports on the Baystack to be an 'untagged' members for one or either VLAN ?

Thankyou both for your time and assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back