Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN between 4500 and Wireless switch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHawks

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2010
GB
I am pulling my hair out here, I have been trying to get a VLAN to work for days but to no avail.

We have 2 3com switches on different floors, they are linked with a fibre optic cable:

• 3Com® Unified Gigabit Wired and Wireless PoE Switch 24-Port 3CRUS2475 with various wireless access points linked to it.

• 3Com® Switch 4500

I have been trying to set up a wired VLAN with several computers connected to the 4500 switch and several connected to the wireless switch which will be able to see each other but not the wireless traffic on the network.

The VLAN happily works on the 4500 switch without issue but not on the wireless switch which has fewer VLAN setup options within its control panel.

On the 4500 switch
Vlan1 consists of 5 untagged ports and the fibre optic port is also untagged
Vlan2 consists of 19 untagged and the fibre optic port is tagged

On the POE Wireless switch
Vlan1 consists of 17 untagged ports with ports and the fibre optic port is also untagged
Vlan2 consists of 6 tagged ports with the fibre optic port tagged

I have set up the fibre optic cable in trunk mode on both switches and made sure that the trunk port is tagged for Vlan2. I also tried the fibre optic port in hybrid mode to see if it made the difference but it didn’t.

On the 4500 Vlan 1 has the IP: xxx.xxx.0.2 with the subnet of 255.255.255.0
On the 4500 Vlan 2 has the IP xxx.xxx.1.2 with the subnet of 255.255.254.0

I was not given an option to set the VLAN IP’s on the wireless POE Switch

Is there anything I could possibly be missing, I have tried everything to get it to work, any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

Adam

Since VLAN1 is the default VLAN does it work properly between switches?

....JIM....

Shouldn't VLAN 2 ports on the Wireless switch be untagged? Is that just a typo?

i think I have cracked it, the problem was with the subnet, turns out that bother Vlans had the same subnet but for some reason i thought they had different subnets. Anyway I need to pay more attention to details.

Should I change all Vlan2 ports to untagged on both switches?

Thanks for all the help!!! Its much appreciated.

I am having another issue with the setup, I am currently unable to ping between computers on the "Wireless PoE Switch 24-Port 3CRUS2475" switch. I have tried plugging 2 machines with the correct subnet and ip ranges into 2 ports specified as Vlan 2 and tried pinging but that did not work however both machines were able to ping the 4500 switch.

i assumed it was a problem with Vlan2 so plugged both machines into ports specified for vlan1 and they still cannot ping each other. I then tried connecting 2 machines wirelessly to the network and tried pinging and they cannot ping eachother either.

Whatever combination I try it seems that terminals can see the switch but not each other.

I am wondering if this is infact a setup by design for security or is the network improperly configured?

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Adam

Do you have Windows firewall running on the devices trying to ping each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back