Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vlan basics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobTechy

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
In my company we have a network domain and we are going to setup wireless. I have purchased the cisco aironet 1130AG AP. I was told in order to separte from guest to employee access I need to setup a vlan.

I am able to gain access to the cisco control panel for the wireless ap via the web browser and see the vlan setup area and have instructions on how to configure but I am confused as to whether I have to configure my physical switches.

The wireless ap is connected to a 5 port dynex switch then that main link goes to our hp 24 port procure switch. So do I have to get into the 5 port switch port configuration and setup vlan for that specific port that the wireless ap is connected to or what. If so I dont know how to get into that switch and do programming on it.

If you are going to have 2 separate vlans one for guest and one for users then yes you have to set aironet for both vlans then set up trunking on the connection from the aironet to the switch which will require configuration both the ap and the switch to support the trunk . Not sure that will work going to a cheapo 5 port hub , you need a direct connection to the HP if that supports trunking . If that 5 port job supports trunking and vlans maybe you can make it work , which would mean setting up a trunk on the dynex to ap port and then the port from the dynex to the hp for trunking .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back