Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN and Trunk group configuration ???'s using different HP Procurve switches please help validate

Status
Not open for further replies.

blade1271

MIS
Jul 29, 2012
US
Hello, I'm new to VLANs and trunking and need some help. My datacenter is being moved to a new office location and I've been tasked with redesigning the network to make it more efficient. I'm using HP Procurve switches and I think I have my design set up but I'd like some validation from others that have more experience. Here's my set up:

2- HP 2910al-24G, 4- 2610-24PWR, and 1 4204vl chassis with 96 10/1000 ports.
1- Adtran router for our MPLS network, PRI for Voice, and Internet for our Office users.
1- Cisco ASA 5505 connected to a cable modem as a secondary internet gateway.

My design is as follows:

To use 1 2910al as the primary switch and create 6 VLANS, I'm thinking I'll also need to create a trunk group on this switch to connect to the other switches (Please let me know if this is correct)

VLAN1: Servers/Network Printers/ESX Hosts
VLAN2: Clients
VLAN3: Voice (Connect my PBX and voicemail server)
VLAN4: Wireless SSID for Office Users (Using Cisco WAPs)
VLAN5: Wireless SSID for Guests
VLAN6: ISCSI for SAN Backplane for VM Infrastructure

I'll use my second 2910al for VLAN1 and connect to the primary 2910 via trunk group port

Use the 4204vl for VLAN2 for the clients to connect via gigabit ethernet (Will I need to untag all the ports for each switch module to assign them to VLAN 2, except the trunk port going to the trunk group on the primary 2910?) (Untagging ports is the correct HP term for assigning ports to a specific VLAN right?)

I'm going to use 3 of the 2610 POE switches for VLAN3 for VOIP. Can I connect the 3 switches together via uplink ports and make them all part of VLAN 3 and use a single trunk on one switch? Or will in need to configure each switch as part of VLAN 3 and connect each switch to the trunk group on the primary 2910? Also can I set up Voice Q0S on the primary 2910 and will it be passed down to the 2610s or will I need to do QoS on the 2610s individually?

Next I was going to use the last 2610 PoE for Wireless and create 2 VLANs for the Office and Guest SSIDs and just untag the ports on the switch that the WAPs are connected for the 2 wireless VLANs.

Last I was going to use the primary 2910 and assign a few ports to VLAN6 for isoloated ISCSI traffic for my SAN.

Use IP Helper on the primary 2910 to send DHCP requests for all VLANs to my server on VLAN1 and turn on IP Routing for InterVLAN communication.

Can I create 2 outside routes on the primary 2910 so VLANs 1-4 go through my Adtran router and VLAN 5 will use the ASA?

How do I create default gateways IPs for each VLAN?

Is this design possible with the equipment I have, I'm thinking I might need another 2910 but I don't know. Am I going down the right path with this?

I'm reading as much as I can on this but I'm just not sure and any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1/ 4204<---->2910 connection
You can have the 4204 port and the 2910 port facing it either both untagged in VLAN2 or both tagged in VLAN2. This "trunks" VLAN2 to the 4204. Then, you assign all the ports as untagged in VLAN2.

2/ The best topology is a star topology. Each 2910<---->2610 connection is made of ports which have VLAN3 either tagged at both ends or untagged at both ends. If you don't have the cabling to do this, then you can daisy chain one 2610 from the next. In this case, each of the 2610<---->2610 connections has VLAN3 "trunked" same as the other connections.

As far as QoS goes, I always just configure the default. The way I see it, if you actually *need* QoS, then you haven't provisioned the network properly and it's the design that needs fixing.

3/ You seem to be asking about policy-based routing. Even if the 2910 supports it, which I doubt, this is a complication you should not add to your network. Instead, create the router addresses (default GWs) for VLANs1,2,3,4 on the 2910 with a default route 0.0.0.0 pointing at the Adtran router. For VLAN5, do not create a router address. Instead, trunk VLAN5 to the 5505. create the router address for VLAN5 on the 5505. create on the 5505 a default route 0.0.0.0 pointing to your secondary ISP.

4/ Enable IP routing on the 2910. As above, on the 2910 for each VLAN create a VLAN interface and assign an IP address to it (eg "ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0"). That IP address is the default gateway for its subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back