Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN and Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonsk2

Technical User
Oct 17, 2005
US
I'm in the process of configuring a VLAN on our company network in preparation for a new data collection implementation in our stockroom and production area. I've configured the VLAN on our Cisco 1811 router and an managed switch. Included in my VLAN config on the Cisco router I added an IP helper address pointing to my PDC in VLAN1. My questions are related to Active Directory/DHCP configuration for management of devices on this VLAN. VLAN1 on my network is configured with 192.168.1.0 and a scope is configured in AD for this. My new VLAN 20 is configured for 192.168.3. I just completed the router/switch config and haven't connected any devices to this VLAN yet. I am able to ping the VLAN IP for the fe on my router (192.168.3.1) from my PC in VLAN1.

Specifically:
1) Do I need to add VLAN 20 to the subnets in AD Sites and Services for AD to recognize and manage it?
2) Do I need to add an additional scope to my DHCP for this VLAN?
3) Is there any other AD configuration required?

Any related reference links would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - no

to join they need to be part of sites and services.
for DHCP your router will tell the DHCP server that the request came from a machine that should be on the network 192.168.3.0 so you'll need a new scope.
past that they should be able to join domain and etc..etc..etc..

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

Thanks for the validation. I don't have much hands on experience with AD other than user and computer setup so I appreciate the validation. I think I've should have everything in place now and will be testing this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back