Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLAN (802.1q) between Cisco and Nortel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knutern

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
NO
Hi all,

for some time I have been struggling with VLANs. My problem is, that VLANs I define on my Cat4003 switch (VTP Server, VTPDomain Test) are not "seen" on Nortel switches. I've set the port to dot1q trunking (on Cisco) and on the nortel switch I've activated tagging.

I'm able to ping any device in VLAN1 but non in any other VLAN from the nortel switch. From other Cisco switches it works fine.

*Any* advice is deeply appreciated.

Cheers

The distribution of VLANs is a (useful) feature of Cisco. The Nortel-Switches don't support this feature. In fact, you will not see any VLANs on the BayStack which you have configured on the Cisco and vice versa.

The only chance to have them communicate is to configure the same VLAN-Numbers on both switches. The switches names don't care about the names. So you can name the VLAN an both switches equally or different.

Important is only the number. Both switches need the same number. The dot1q-protocol only defines, how these vlan-numbers are embedded into the packet. That makes it compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back