Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

visual studio.net vs 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

keizersoz

Programmer
Apr 22, 2004
BE
Hi to all,
In the past I worked with visual c++ 6.0. , recently I start working with visual studio.net 2003. I see there are many changes.

Have a few questions hope someone can help me.
1) About this "using namespace std". Isn't that the namespace of STL? What change did they do in vs.net2003 ,did they add all the iostream functions to this namespace, why? So now in the begin of each project I should write "using namespace std"?

2)In version 6 I was using the template "win32 console application", now I used the template win32 console project and I see they use _tmain instead of main. Which template should I use to take benefit of most possible features in order to develop an console application and for a windows application?

1st Q. answer only (I'm still working with VC++ 6.0):
Yes, std is STL namespace (in VC++ 6.0 too;). It's C++ Standard namespace. Yes, all <iostream> (not deprecated <iostream.h>!) lives in std. You may use scope prefix std::cout etc instead of using namespace std; directive (open namespace)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back