Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Studio Debugging Issue - No Symbols Loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyDragon

Programmer
Jan 14, 2004
US
This is my first VS.Net app so I'm going a bit nuts. Basically, I inherited an app that was 1/2 done from consultants who are no longer with the company. I'm on my own and a newbie to VS and feel like banging my head against the wall! [sadeyes]

(One of) MY PROBLEM(s):
I have a solution with 2 projects; a web project and a services project. I copied these projects to my own development box and now can't debug in the services project (the web app appears to be fine). When attempting to debug, I get a 'No Symbols Loaded" msg for breakpoints set within the services project. I can see no discrepancies between the configurations of the two projects.

What I have tried:
1) I have checked that the build configuration is set to DEBUG and not RELEASE.
2) I have attempted to reload the symbols manually in the modules window.

If anyone has any experience with this type of issue or know what can be causing the problem, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Juls

You're not alone. This could help thread855-633305
Marty

I didn't find that post previously or I would have added mine to that thread.

I have made progress, however, since my post. Perhaps others may benefit from my stumbling around VS. Previously, I tried deleting the obj directory with the debug information (there was a symbol file here even though the debugger said it couldn't find it). After rebuilding the solution, the debugger STILL didn't work. I even tried it again with a restart.

This time, I deleted both the bin and the obj directories in the project folders. I created a directory outside of this for the referenced .dlls and re-referenced them. Then I rebuilt the app. Something I did worked because now the symbol files for both projects in the solution can be loaded by the debugger and I can now set working breakpoints.

I hope this might help others. I can't really tell you what I did right or wrong - this was merely a trial and error bumbling on my part until it worked. If someone knows the actual "WHY" this worked, I'd love to hear it. [smile2]

Thanks all,
Juls

I am glad it is working for you. As you read in the thread I posted I am still fighting it. I have done what you said but no joy. I hope someone finds the cause and the solution.
Deleteing and recreating assemblies is not my idea of a solutiuon.
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back