Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Studio 6.0 Setups bombs with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2001
US
Hello,

I tried to search for this issue but the search engine is down.

I upgraded to Windows XP Pro but when I try to install my Visual Studio 6.0 (to install VB 6.0) it keeps telling me that a setup error has occurred.

I tried a solution I found at MS which involved renaming all the Library/*.dll values in the Services subkey of the registry and also renaming the file Perfc009.dat but I get another error after the setup starts.

Anyone hit this problem and have a solution?

I would appreciate you help very much!

HI,

I have Visual Studio.net and Visual Studio 6 installed on WinXP Pro. One thing I have noticed with WinXP is that turning off any anti-virus program and doing the install immediately after a reboot seems to solve problems with installs. On my system at least, the setup process has a tendency to be left running from previous install attempts and will sometimes cause an install to fail. And you have to be doing the install from the Administrator account or at least an account with Administrator privs.

Thanks. There aren't any previous installs on this computer, no anti-virus stuff running, and I am the administrator.

This was a clean OEM formatting of the hard drive install of XP Pro. It was only after a few weeks use of the machine that I thought I might as well put VB on it as I use that a lot. That's when I found that the install could not complete.

Someone in another forum thought it might be due to the fact that MS Office 97 was already installed but I haven't found anything on that issue in my searches on the web.

The only thing I've found so far is the above URL at microsoft.com which states that this is a known bug, but the fixes don't work for me. I've see other users who state "no problem here" so I am currently at a loss. Maybe I should uninstall Office97 but I had some problems with that install (had to hand re-build email client in IE6), plus I don't think it will work.

But maybe I'll have to do that.

Don't know - it's always something isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back