Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Studio 2013/2015 - VB book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofus828

Programmer
Nov 9, 2005
US
Hi all,
The company I work for is sun-setting Visual Foxpro and all related applications created with it.
Now I need to switch them over to Visual Basic.

I am looking for recommendations for books that cover syntax of that language in that Visual Studio IDE. 2013 or 2105 .

Thanks in advanced.

I can't recommend any specific books because I haven't bought any of them, but Amazon has a wide selection that seems to cover your requirements. Many are by well known authors.

As someone, among many, who have made the transition from VFP to VB.Net I might recommend that you begin with:
NET for Visual FoxPro Developers​
The book is dated, but it can lay a foundation for understanding that helps.

In our situation we have to keep our VFP legacy application running for a few of our older customers and utilizing a VFP data 'backend', but the VB.Net version of the application for our newer customers works fine with that data.

However if you are already using a MS SQL data 'backend' that too can work out fine.

Basically you need to get a good grasp of the .NET environment requirements and of the VB.Net language.
But once you have the data 'links' worked out, the rest is relatively easy.
PLUS, there are TONS of references on the web on how to do this or that in VB.NET.
Just do a Google Search for: "VB.ASP" <whatever> or "VB.NET" <whatever> and you will get lots of 'finds'

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thanks all.
I will use this information and put it to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back