Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Studio 2005 - RDLC Report (Report Viewer Print) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrabee

Programmer
Jan 30, 2006
US
can anyone tell me if there is extra steps needed to use the print button from the print viewer object in vb.net 2005.

I have the report displayed properly on screen, and when I choose the print button, it does show a print dialog. After selecting the printer I wish to print to it even displays the "printing page X [cancel]" dialog, but nothing is ever recieved at the printer.

I have tried this on multiple printers. I have also found a few articles on how to use stream writers to write images to disk and then print out without even using this print viewer - but I have yet to get this to function correctly as well. If anyone has a sample of this, that they know works properly I would love to see it.

thanks in advance.

larrabee,

Don't know if this is the same issue I ran into, but I had something similar.

My issue was that the first time I hit the print button, a random number of pages, usually only two or three, would print then the print job would "finish" but nothing ever printed. The second and subsequent times you hit the print button, all pages printed just fine.

After much searching, I found an article on the issue. Don't ask me where I found it because I don't remember. But the answer, according to the article and the microsoft reference I was directed to, was a bad report viewer .dll

The options were to contact microsoft for the .dll file or wait for Visual Studio Service Pack 1 to be released. Luckily for me, SP1 had already been released when I began troubleshooting this issue. I downloaded and installed SP1, redistributed my application with the new .dll file and all printing has been fine since.

If this is a related issue, if you haven't already installed SP1, I suggest giving that a try.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB/Access Programmer

that worked perfectly - I never tried to hit the print button twice - but after you mentioned it, it worked exactly as you suggested.

I just assumed that the service packs were being applied in automatic updates with windows updates etc!

thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back