Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual FoxPro Multi User Environment With SQl Server 7.0 Or Higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm a beginner in Visual FoxPro. I'd like to know how to develop a good client server ((2-n) tier) application Using Visual FoxPro 6.0 / 7.0 And Sql Server Database 7.0 / 2000. Can Somebody explain to me how... or give me a good reference ?

Index and Reindex matter (between VFP and SQL Srv) is the worst disturbing thing in my mind (please give me a clue...!?)

sukma_tc@yahoo.com
sukma@

Sukma,
My advise to you is, First, learn VFP. Second, learn SQL Server. Until you have at least some idea of how these two tools work, there will be little value in anyone explaining to you how to "Build" an n-tier application using the tools. I would hold this analogus to say, "I have a hammer, can someone explain to me how to build a house?"
I don't mean to sound condesending, but what you ask is really a topic which scope is far beyond a simple question in a forum.

Best Regards,
Scott

Please let me know if this has helped [hammer]

However I'll add that there are a lot of good articles available in the VFP and/or MSDN files and web sites which go into great deatail on these subjects. For instance, with the standard VFP help file there's a section under 'Using Visual FoxPro' called 'Implementing a Client/Server Application' which you might want to study first. Dave Dardinger

Assume you have some experience of XBASE programming.
Then you need to study a little bite about SQL command first.
VFP has an excellent support of SQL (MS SQL and Linux MySQL) connection. Don't worry. With VFP you can do almost anything in SQL. What you need is:
1) An ODBC driver. MS SQL driver is usually built-in. MySQL driver can be downloaded from MySQL website (called MyODBC).
2) Creat a DSN (Data Source Name).
3) Use the SQL passthrough commands to connect to the SQL server. The first command is usually y=SQLCONNECT("xxx") where xxx is the DSN and y is the handler.
4) Send SQL string to the server to execute by =SQLEXEC(y,"zzz") where zzz is the SQL command. The query is stored in a cursor SQLRESULT. You can access by SELECT SQLRESULT.
Of course you need to know SQL commands. SQL commands are very different in from XBASE, both in syntax and concept.
Hope this can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back